Pt. 10 - Neurons Like Brandy - Chapter 3: Caryn

Originally this chapter of NLB was going to be split into two parts. The thing is, I couldn't find a decent place to break the chapter in two so I decided to put the entire 6500 words here instead.

If this is your first time here, go to the index to start from the beginning.

This chapter, jumps back to Caryn's perspective, in terms of time line, well you'll be able to see. Any feedback would be much appreciated.


       3: Caryn  Denny had arrived early, as usual. He had always been the reliable member of the drunken duo, always on time, unlike his counterpart Mr. 'What, there was something I was supposed to do?'
  The two of them were a right pair, both about 6 foot tall, Phillip probably a little taller, both of them with long lanky, brown hair, brown eyes; generally adorning themselves with Metal T-Shirts and ripped jeans. The difference being that Phillip had a sharper jawline and slightly hawkish nose whereas Denny had rounder, softer features. They almost could have been brothers.
  Denny had brought a girl, a petite brunette, with hazel brown eyes, standing at around 5’6, she reminded me of darker skinned BeyoncĂ©. She politely shook my hand and introduced herself as Jocelyn. She had brought a box of After Eights as a dinner gift, Denny brought out a bottle of Chilean Red called ‘Casilliero del Diablo’. In turn I was a little speechless, Denny had never so much as mentioned a girl before, he was 23 and I was starting to think that he was gay. Not that there would have been anything wrong with that.
              “Why don't you come and help me open it?” I said making frantic 'follow me' motions to him with my eyes.
  Jocelyn sat down on my three seat sofa in the living/dining room, while I bullied Denny into telling me where they had met. This was big news.
  It only took seconds of pestering for him to explain, a cheeky little smile on his face as he divulged to me that he had met Jocelyn at a pub a couple of weeks back and were getting along but not dating yet . I practically cooed with delight, he gave me this awkward look.
    “What?” I asked. “Am I overreacting?”
  He shrugged.
    “Okay, maybe a little.” I admitted. “I promise not to impose.”
  I straightened myself up and tried to not smirk as I poured us three glasses of wine.
  Denny and I walked back into my main room and sat down in the chair opposite Jocelyn and Denny sat next to her. I explained that the food would be ready in less than an hour, and that we were waiting for Phillip and my other guests to arrive.
  Jocelyn was nice, she was an English Lit student, and was near the end of her second year at Sussex. As she was telling me about her courses I kept looking at Denny who was hanging on her every word. I put on some music, one of Denny’s favourites: 'So much for the Afterglow' by Everclear. Jocelyn asked for a copy about three songs in and it was then that I knew she was perfect for him.
  Denny was practically glowing.
  Phillip was still not there, this didn’t surprise me all that much as it was likely that he had forgotten about this dinner completely but I thought it strange that Kerry and Reese were late too.
    “So what do you do?” Jocelyn asked me.
    “I work in a shop; well actually I am working up to assistant manager.” I replied feeling awkward. Here was this girl, barely out of her teens asking me what I did. What did I do? I worked in a clothes shop, a small, malnourished boutique. A drab, hippy little place with ochre walls and poorly lit displays in grimy windows. I worked for just above minimum wage but only because the owner, a woman with bangles on her wrists and threads in her hair and flowery dresses, thought it a crime to pay me any less. I graduated with a first and here I was, hoping that my useless owner might consider me for a promotion.
  Then the phone, sitting on the stand next to my chair, rang.
  Shaking the thoughts from my head I picked up the receiver and answered:
          “Hello?”
          “Hi, it's Phillip.” The all too familiar voice sounded out.
          “Where are you?” I said, feeling myself start to fume, it was obvious that he had gone out drinking.
          “Not important, is Denny there?” I noted a hint of desperation in his voice.
          “Yes, why, do you want to talk to him?” I asked.
          “Lock the door now and don't let anyone in but me.”
          “I beg your pardon?” My mind was reeling, what was going on? Was he in trouble with drug dealers, debt collectors or worse?
          “Just do it.”
          “Look-
          “For fuck's sake just do it!” He yelled into my receiver. “Look, for once, instead of arguing with me just do what I ask you. Lock the doors, and turn on the television if you want to know what is going on.”
  I started to panic; this was different to our other fights. This time we weren't verbally sparring over some little thing and I didn't know why he was getting so upset.
          “Look, I promise you I'll be there soon.” His voice was calm. “Can you just promise me you won't open the door to anyone except me?”
          “What about my guests?” I asked as I could feel tears brimming up; I was confused by his manner. Why was he doing this?
          “How were they getting there? Were they coming by car?”
          “No, Phillip what is going on, are you in trouble?” As I said that Denny looked up at me from his seat next to Jocelyn. “Phillip are you listening to me?”
          “If they didn't come by car then they are fucking dead already.” He said bluntly.
          “Phillip you are scaring me.” I said, fighting back the tears.
          “I'm sorry, I... look I have to go.” He hesitated again; when he spoke his voice was softer. “I promised I'd see you soon, but if anything happens... shit, I love you.”
  I was stunned; the big, drunk, buffoon had said it.
  He hung up before I had a chance to say anything else and then I did start to cry. Within seconds I felt Denny's arms around me as I blubbered. I rested my head against his shoulder and smelt his deodorant; it was the same as Phillip's: 'Sure, for men'.
  I patted him on the shoulder and pulled away.
  He asked me what was wrong.
          “Lock the door, please.” I asked handing him the keys.
  He didn't ask any more questions and did as I requested.
  I looked at Jocelyn and gave her a pathetic smile:
          “Did I smudge my make up?” I asked finding a tissue and wiping under my eyes, looking for evidence.
          “Not badly.” She said, looking concerned. “Bad news?”
          “No, no.” I laughed picking up the remote from my coffee table and switching on the television, I half expected to see Phillip's face plastered across it with a title like 'wanted for murder'. “That was just my boyfriend.”
          “Just your boyfriend?” Jocelyn said in disbelief.
  I plonked myself down next to her and Denny came back and sat the other side. I flicked to the BBC and it was the news. There was some kind of police official giving a statement to a circle of microphones and tape recorders.
              “... Do not try to leave your house under any circumstances. The police are currently working in conjunction with the military to get this sudden threat under control. What I do advise is that if you are in any of the listed quarantine areas, it is even more important that you do not try to leave those cities and towns to avoid spreading the virus...
  It cut to a reporter, unremarkable in every way, his breath steaming from his mouth as he started to speak. His white hands clutching his mike.
              “We cannot be sure what is the cause of these outbursts of violence that have emerged, seemingly, from nowhere. Some experts are suggesting that it maybe drug related, some kind of terrorist or immigrant upsurge. We do know that the new Prime Minister will be holding an emergency press conference in only a matter of seconds...
  The scene changed to the usual conference hall type, the borders of the walls adorned with ornately carved plumes with gold leaf coverings, behind the center pedestal was a classical painting of some sort possibly Baroque period. The camera panned the chairs in front of the podium; it was easy to see that there were no way near as many reporters as normal. Flashes started going off as the Prime Minister walked in and smiled at the 'crowd'. If Phillip had been there he would have called the man a 'suit' and it felt quite appropriate name for this person who stepped up to his place in front of the reporters. He could have been tall but it was hard to tell by the way that the camera was pointed at him, he wore his colours in place with his political party and his tie offset them by being green. His face was drawn and pallid, the fake smile stretched over his chin looked more forced than the times I'd seen him before.
  A few more flashes went off before he started speaking:
              “I would first like to reassure everyone that we have everything under control. I have been in close communications with the Ministry of Defense. There will be a soldier on every street corner of the affected cities, a police officer on all those not.”
  He then went straight to questions, which struck me as odd. All politicians like to waffle on about nothing in particular, yet this man's opening speech had been so brief.
              “Is it true that these attacks may be drug related, and if so how do you explain that these incidents are happening all over the world?
  The suit's smile almost faltered. I noticed he was sweating a bit.
               “First off, hello. Secondly, I think that 'attacks' is too strong a word for what is going on at present. Furthermore we have no strong evidence either way. We suspect that some of these egregious acts may have had something to do with narcotics and the use thereof.
  Another reporter asked him if he didn't find the increasing number of reports of gangs roaming the streets in most major cities across the world worrying.
              “It is hard at this present moment to gauge seriousness of such claims. Bearing in mind that so far these so called 'gangs' are insulated cases.
  Another reporter pointed out that television and radio broadcasts were advising people to stay inside and that the Prime Minister was calling in the army had instigated such call to arms only minutes previously.
          “That does seem like you are taking this situation quite seriously. Wouldn't you say?
  The ‘suit’ was now sweating profusely. I marveled at the drops he had to wipe with a handkerchief from his brow. I'd never seen such a public display of errors in terms of makeup and lighting.
  I looked at Denny and Jocelyn, who returned my attention with concern engraved in their faces.
          “It is merely a precaution, a safety net in case the situation becomes aggravated. There have been a couple of reports of possible Al-Qaeda links to some of the occurrences in America. So yes in a way we have to take it seriously, but no I don't think there is any real need for concern at this current time.”
  The man indicated to another journalist.
          “The blackout two weeks ago, this disturbing new virus that has been going around, do you think that these might all be linked?
  The Prime Minister laughed jovially, despite his perspiration.
          “I sincerely doubt it.
  The question worried me the most. I wondered what if they were all connected?
  Had Phillip been attacked? If he had why hadn't he told me? Was he sick, no, he wouldn't be coming over if he was, would he? Did he think, maybe, that by closing the door that would keep me safe from the disease?
  I'd had a headache yesterday, and after the television scare I had considered going to the doctor's. Was I ill?
            “What about the virus, how do we know that the military are immune? If they are, then does that mean there is an inoculation? If they aren't impervious how can you guarantee that there will be enough able bodies to back up your claims?
  The ‘suit’ coughed, reached for a glass of water took a big slurp then recommenced.
          “That isn't just one question, that's three masquerading as one.
  “I can safely and decisively say that.” He coughed again. “I can say without a shadow of a doubt there is nothing that we cannot handle. As I said, so far in Britain, these anomalies are isolated to a few areas and committed by deviants who will be apprehended.
  I switched channels, tired of hearing responses that contained no actual answers. ITV news was blaming lax immigration laws and increased gun crime for the outbursts of violence.
  Channel four had snuck a reporter into Manchester, there were no visuals. But he was describing a crowd 'of what appears to be two hundred homeless, drunks stumbling down the street'.
    “This reminds me of that cartoon made by that guy who did the Snowman book.” Jocelyn said.
    “The Snowman book?” I said frowning, trying to take everything in.
    “You know,” she said. “The one with the terrible ‘I’m walking through the air’ song.”
  I looked at her in disbelief. 
  All of a sudden someone started banging on my front door.
  Denny and I got up, there was a small hallway leading from my dining room/living room and the banging, that persisted, echoed through it as we walked towards the front door. Bracing myself against the coats on the coat rack. I attempted to say something.
          “Who is it?” I asked.
          “It's me.” I recognised Phillip's voice. “Let us in.”
  I quickly unlocked the door and opened it.
  There he stood, almost six foot, a big grin on his face. His arms were drenched in blood, and there was a meat cleaver in his right hand.
  It took all the energy I could muster to not freak out.
  He took a couple of steps forward and I backed away, almost bumping into Denny. He stopped and frowned then he must have seen what I could see, because he swore under his breath.
          “Look, Caryn, I can explain.” He started.
  My attention was drawn briefly to the person who walked in behind. I was going to look back at Phillip but then I had to double take.
  It was Dan.
  Then I dragged my eyes back to Phillip.
             “We haven't got much time.” Phillip said as Dan closed the door. “I'll explain as much as I know then we have to get out of here.”
  Dan, shit, Dan, the great departed.
   I looked at him and he seemed to be as surprised to see me as I was to see him.
  He hadn't changed much, except he looked even more like a hippy (or 'fucking hippy' if you listened to Phillip) than he had done. Shit, it had been four years; I wondered if I had changed since we had been together. I laughed at myself inwardly, it had been four years, I wasn't a broke student anymore (I was now a half broke employee). My hair was shorter and I didn't wear those stupid long dresses I'd been so enamoured with. He still had dreadlocks (damp with what I imagine was blood), still wearing those awful T-shirts with Hendrix or Jim Morrison (today it was actually Led Zeppelin) and baggy flares. He couldn’t be more 1960s if he tried.
              “Okay.” I said slowly to Phillip, drawing my gaze back to my boyfriend. “Why are you covered in blood?”
  Phillip shifted uncomfortably looking at his shoes. Then he slid the meat cleaver between his belt and jeans.
              “This is going to sound unbelievable.” He sighed, looking at all three of us, Jocelyn having joined us. “But this is the truth and my friend Dan here, can back me up.”
  Dan nodded. Then Phillip said the most ridiculous thing:
               “Brighton is being overrun by zombies.” He said, raising his hand to silence me. “I didn't want to tell you over the phone because I knew you were going to react like this.”
    “React like what?” I asked. “Like my boyfriend is a retarded, possibly psychotic person?”
    “Look, it’s true, all of it.” Phillip had this wild eyed look to him that made him look properly crazy now.
               “Hi, my name is Dan.” Dan took care to wipe his hand against the thigh of his flares before doing shaking my hand. Then he shook Denny's, and Jocelyn's.
  I started trying to process what Phillip had just said. I mean, zombies appeared in movies not on our streets. Yet it all sort of made sense; in a psychotic Hollywood-gone-wrong sort of way. That or Phillip had met up with Dan in a pub got really drunk and then for some absurd reason decided that they were now best friends and that the only way to seal their relationship was to start murdering people.
              “Have we got any of that JD left?” Phillip asked.
  Denny got him the bottle that we had stored underneath my kitchen sink and he began to drink. As I watched him, I found my voice again:
              “Phillip, please tell me you saw the news, you met Dan in a pub and you thought it would be really funny to play a trick on us.” I said as calmly as I could.
  He stopped drinking; he slowly pulled the neck of the bottle from his lips and cocked an eyebrow.
              “Why the fuck would I do that?” Phillip asked incredulously. “Have you been watching the news?”
  Why indeed.
              “We've been lucky so far but we need to move while we still can.” Phillip said, letting out a satisfied grunt as he finished what was left of the JD. He always did that when he had his first whiskey of the day.
              “Where are you going?” Jocelyn said timidly.
              “Dan's place.” Phillip said. “Sorry, but who are you?”
  She told him.
              “Why don't we just stay here?” I complained. “If it is so dangerous out there, why are we going to risk it?”
              “Dan got me here,” Phillip said, casting a dark look. “I'm not letting him go back out there on his own.”
              “It's okay.” Dan started to say. Then Phillip stopped him.
              “No, you helped me. Besides I think we should stick together, you know they always split up in films and then most of them die.” Phillip walked towards my room, leaving bloody footsteps on the wooden floor.
  My boyfriend returned with the baseball bat he had given me as protection.
              “When they split up, the only ones to live are the lead lady, and sometimes man. In zombie films it's even rarer that anyone lives.” He handed Denny the cleaver. “I can't risk not being the lead.”
  I wanted to tell Phillip that this wasn't a film, that I wasn't Jamie lee Curtis.
  No matter how hard I tried to convince myself, I couldn't see a reasonable explanation why he was doing this.
              “It isn't too far to the car.” Phillip said putting his ear to the door. “Sweetie, go and get two decent sized knives. You and...” He looked at Denny's partner.
              “Jocelyn.” She whispered in a frightened voice.
  Phillip returned the side of his head to the door, a look of concentration on his face.
  Dan took my arm gently and asked me to show him where the kitchen was. Dumbly I walked him there. My apartment wasn't big but the cooking area was a separate room and isolated enough so as to make the conversation that ensued between Denny and Phillip incomprehensible.
              “If you have anything big, like a rolling pin or knife like one of these.” Dan waved the blade in his hand. “Best to take one of them.”
              “Dan, this is crazy.”
              “Wish it was.” He shrugged. “We almost couldn't get out of my block of flats. We broke into one of the apartments and used the scaffolding. We would have been dead otherwise.”
  I rummaged through my cutlery draw and picked two of the biggest knives I had.
              “I didn't know you and Phillip were friends.” I said. He seemed sober which must have been some kind of novelty for us both. He also had an expression I'd not seen on his face before.
  We stared at each other, it was hard to tell if he wanted to say anything, his eyes were glazed, not drunk glazed, something else.
              “We only met tonight.” Dan broke eye contact and started through the doorway and back towards Phillip. Then over his shoulder: “You should probably turn the oven off.”
  I had completely forgotten about the dinner. I didn't want to look at how bad it was, I reasoned that I could give Phillip a bollocking later, and just spun the dial to '0?c'.
  We returned to the hallway with what we had. Phillip was still listening at the door when we walked up to him, his hair covering almost all of his face.
           “I don't think there is anything there, yet.” He swung the door open.
           “Could I at least pack a few things?” I protested.
           “No time.” Phillip said darting onto the dark metal staircase that led to the pavement.
  Denny followed straight after, I could hear the clanking of their footfalls on each degree as they descended.
  Jocelyn looked at me and we both hesitated, she shook her head at me. She had a half hysterical smile on her face.
           “This is a joke right?” Jocelyn asked no one in particular.
           “No it's not,” Dan replied, sounding laid back. “Now you guys better start moving or we'll get left behind.”
  Like a starter gun had been fired off in our heads, we ran. Jocelyn was in front of me, her silhouette standing out against the light of the street lamps glaring at the corner of my building. I could make out Denny and Phillip at the ground floor. Denny was talking excitedly, but I couldn't hear what it was about.
  I could hear Dan panting behind me; I almost smiled at how out of shape he was since we last met. I wondered, bizarrely, if he had a beer gut hidden under that baggy top. As I tried to delight in the fallen ways of previous lovers it started to gnaw at me.
  Why was I able to listen to Dan? Why was Denny's chatter, although indecipherable, audible? Why it all wasn’t drowned out by drunken pub goers being evicted at closing time?
  Admittedly my apartment was as far away from a pub as you could get from one in Brighton (well Hove actually), it had been why I'd chosen it, yet there should have at least been a few inebriated chants.
  Then we were greeted by a cacophony of noise. By this time Phillip was standing at the corner of the alley way, Denny had gone ahead. His position was casting a long shadow back towards us,
  At first it was only a few cries, bad enough as it was, but then another, and another, all harmonising with first ones, the noise was increasing as I got closer to the corner where Denny and Phillip were standing. In the safety of my little flat with music turned up I had been oblivious, but now, this was real.
  It occurred to me for the first time in my life that I might die.
  Phillip urged us to move, I forced myself to run faster. I saw Jocelyn hesitate so I grabbed her right hand and pulled her with her me.
  Dan accelerated past me, not quite as unfit as I had thought, or maybe urged on by fear.
  The car was only a few feet away, parked awkwardly on a double yellow line. Denny was waiting for us looking around frantically for the source of the screams.
  Phillip was behind me, keeping pace behind me, he could have over taken me if he had wanted to but stayed in line.
  We slammed our backs against the side of the car; Phillip turned around and put a protective arm around me. There was the scraping of metal against metal as Dan tried to find the place for his key in the lock.
  Someone started yelling, it was closer than the other shouts. A man hurtled into view about a hundred yards from us. He was dressed in a suit and tie; his shiny shoes clopped against the tarmac as his jacket fluttered out behind him. He was waving his hands and yelling what seemed like 'no,no,no'.
  Phillip took a step away from me in his direction and braced himself with the bat out in front of him.
  About a dozen more people appeared behind the first, also flailing their arms and running at break neck speed.
  “Oh my God, oh my God, holy shit.” Jocelyn blathered beside me.
  I looked over my shoulder and beyond the hood of the small car. There were more of 'them' coming from the other direction. These were slower, but in greater number.
  I heard the comforting sound of the central locking flipping up on all the doors. I pulled the handle of the back door and opened it, pushing Jocelyn out of the way in the process. She was watching the approaching attacker.
  I slid hurriedly into the place furthest from the door. I gazed out the opening, behind the first thirteen runners, there were now maybe thirty more, these dispersed in a haphazard manner, some slinking into back roads, others followed the ones approaching us.
  Jocelyn was practically thrown in next to me, Denny diving in straight after.
  The first man was almost upon us. Phillip jerked the passenger door open and almost had the door closed but just at that point the man managed to jam his arms between the two frames and attempted to pry them apart. Phillip pulled hard and the runner squealed in pain. 
  I heard myself scream. Phillip opened the door and kicked the bastard in the knee, and he went down with a grunt.
  Phillip went to close the door again when the man called out weakly, I barely heard him:
          “Wait, please.”
  I saw Phillip stare at him in disbelief, then reach forward to pull him in. He yanked our attacker onto his lap then yelled to Dan 'to get the fuck out of here'.
  The first proper group was almost on us and as the car pulled away I got a look at them, their faces ashen, all of them had their eyes turned up to the top of their heads.
          “How do they see?” I asked, but no one heard me over Denny and Jocelyn's yells of terror.
  Dan gunned his car and caught a few of the group with his bonnet, sending them spinning into the gutter.
  I heard our new companion cry out as a couple tried to grab his outstretched legs. Phillip pulled him in further and slammed his side shut. I saw, with revulsion, that he severed a hand in the process.
  Dan piled the car through more of the assailants then he moved it straight at the slower group I'd seen first, and in the direction of the center of Brighton.
  The man in Phillip's lap started thanking us profusely.
         “What's your name?” Phillip asked.
  His response was lost as bodies bumped against the wind shield and flew out behind us.
         “Sorry what was that?”
         “Gray, I'm Gray.” He said, sounding calmer.
         “Well done Gray, you almost got yourself killed.” Phillip said scornfully. “Dumbarse, why didn't you speak?”
  Gray composed himself as best he could then crawled over my partner and into the back seat next to me, giving me an apologetic look as he did so. After he was sat properly he addressed Phillip:
          “I didn't have time.” He checked his arms and chest; I couldn't tell if he was looking for wounds or cigarettes. “I didn't know I had to.”
          “I bet you saw 'For the love of the Game', didn't you?” Phillip sneered.
          “I beg your pardon?”
          “The Baseball film that was on the other night.” Phillip said.
          “The one with Kevin Costner in it?” Gray enquired. Phillip nodded. “Yes, I saw it at the cinema, but what's-
          “This is what I'm fucking talking about!” Phillip bellowed, making us jump.
  Phillip leaned around and poked a finger menacingly into Gray's chest.
          “YOU WATCH A PIECE OF SHIT FILM LIKE THAT AND I BET YOU'VE NEVER SEEN EVIL DEAD!”
  I grabbed Phillip's arm and pulled it away from the poor man, glaring at him as I did so. He pacified somewhat.
          “Well actually,” Gray hesitated. “I have. But-
  Phillip snorted and then added grumpily:
          “So how come you can't recognise a zombie when you see one?”
          “Z-Zombie?” Gray spluttered. “Oh come on. That's, that's pure fantasy.”
          “Actually.” This from Dan. “Couldn't the zombies talk in 'Evil Dead'?”
  Phillip shrugged off the comment:
            “Gray have you seen 'Dawn of the Dead'?”
            “Yes.”
            “Well there you go!”
    “The people I was with, the people in the pub...” Gray trailed off.
  Dan ran a few more zombies over.
  Phillip went to say something.
            “Phillip, please enough?” I shouted at him. All I wanted to do at that point was close my eyes and go to sleep.
  Phillip turned his anger towards me, but then it dissipated as he saw my face. I realised that I must look terrified, and he seemed to comprehend that he wasn't helping.
  His face softened then he flipped back into a proper sitting position in time to laugh at another road kill. I watched the body on the road behind us collapse into a physically impossible contortion, and then scramble up to a standing position
          “We'll be at my house in about five or so minutes.” Dan said looking at us in the rear view mirror. “Be prepared to run.”
          “Could you lend me the keys? I need to get home.” Gray suggested timidly. “I need to get in touch with my family, my friends.”
  This elicited a guffaw from Phillip.
          “You mean give you the car?”
          “I'd bring it back.” Gray offered, wary of Phillip.
          “No you wouldn't.” Phillip laughed again.
  I saw a man kneeling in the road just ahead of the car's headlights, he started to get up as Dan bore down on him, and his mouth was dripping blood. Then he went under the wheels with a grotesque thud. The whole car shook as we trampled him.
          “Look around you, it's not that you wouldn't, you couldn't, people are dying all around us.”
  The vehicle went silent as we looked out the windows. There were fires starting all over the place, zombies littered the streets, we approached the central square of Brighton, and although the road itself was fairly clear either side of the Perspex bus shelters was carnage.
  I watched as one bloodied victim sat up, eyes rolling up into the top of her head. She would have been in her mid-twenties, she had on a tattered pin striped suit. She might even have been pretty before something had bitten and clawed chunks out of her face neck and arms. I looked out through the back window to try and catch what happened to her next but the glass had now steamed up.
  As Dan made a dodgy right turn to head down to the beach, I caught a glimpse of a group of maybe six or seven people being chased by ten or eleven fast zombies and another dozen or so of the slow ones, two or three of them casually lurched after our car. 
  I felt the car churn forward underneath me as Dan sped it down the hill. He turned it right at the bottom then almost immediately right again and into an impressive looking driveway that ran perpendicular with the sea.
  The houses that weren't burnt down looked expensive; it was a step up from the pathetic little apartment that Dan and I had shared.
  The area was strangely calm; I could see some figures lurking in the shadows at the other side of the park opposite and a few more up the road. Unlike the shopping center, there didn't seem to be too much conflict.
              “We haven't been noticed yet.” Phillip said opening his door, the bat in his other hand. “Let’s go before they head for the car.”
          “Who?” I asked bewildered, there wasn't anyone around.
          “I want to catch the ones in the flats off guard.” Phillip got out of the car and marched towards the flight of steps that I assumed led to Dan's place. It was about 5 stories high, the ‘ground floor’ was done up with ornate plastering but past the first floor it was exposed brick, the entire front was latticed with scaffolding and it looked like it was in the process of having graffiti removed.
  I got out, Gray was right behind me. Denny exited on the other side and chased after his friend, hopping around the car, Jocelyn came to meet with me, slipping her hand back into mine and giving it a squeeze. I looked at her, hoping I looked more confident than I felt, and nodded at her. 
  Dan followed Denny, his pace less decisive.
         “We can't take them head on.” Dan protested, stepping up next to my boyfriend.
         “Why not?” Phillip said confidently. “There are more of us.”
         “There's probably twenty of them.”
         “And they are slow and stupid.” Phillip shot back. “Besides if we block the door we can keep the rest of them out.”
         “That's too dangerous.” Dan argued on.
         “Caryn could you give Gray your-
  Phillip didn't finish his sentence because two zombies came hurtling out of the broken front door of the building. Phillip and Dan moved up to greet them, Denny, not to be left out, brought up the rear. Behind these two first sprinters there were more undead coming out of the entrance.
  Jocelyn screamed as Phillip brained the first 'runner' and Dan stabbed the second in the forehead. I didn't know what I'd expected, but one thing was for sure, I wasn't prepared for that much blood.
  Both bodies collapsed, jittering and spasming as they slid onto the grass of the building’s front garden.
  Denny hesitated for a moment, as if weighing his options, it didn't take him long to bolt after the two who advanced on the zombie mob that staggered in front of them.
  For a few seconds I wondered if my life was going to turn into one big 80's video nasty and then I hastened behind them.
  I looked at Gray and Jocelyn, he was standing with his mouth open, his glasses slid down from the bridge of his nose, gazing dumbly at Phillip, Jocelyn had started crying in coughing fits with her free hand clasped against her mouth.
  Conscious of how vulnerable we were I pulled her after me, towards the house. I looked around hurriedly, wondering if any of the zombies had caught on that there was food in the area.
  To my horror I saw a woman running at full speed, her lower jaw and eyes were missing, and she was almost upon us.
  She pounced on Jocelyn yanking her from my grasp, her teeth aiming for my friend's throat. Jocelyn screamed in horror as the woman gripped at her flailing wrists and tried to lean forward.
  I hesitated, no, I froze.
  I'm not Dan, I'm not Phillip, I told myself. I can't do this, I'm not capable.
  I looked around desperately for some help. Someone who would pull this beast from off of Jocelyn then I looked at Gray and saw his face, contorted in fear.  He was starting to back away, looking for somewhere to hide. In those split seconds, he made me sick to the stomach. Not just for his brazen display of cowardice, for being a pussy; but because he was mirroring my own thoughts. He was being just as useless as me.
  I gripped the steak knife with both hands and yelled 'YOU CUNT' as I jammed the ten inches into the creature's cranium. The sentiment was aimed more at Gray than the zombie.
  As I felt the blade lodge into the thing’s brain a thought flashed through my head about when I went to see a play with my Mum called the 'Vagina Monologues' and they asked us to shout out that word as way of reclaiming it from the connotations and the ugliness it had acquired. I had sat there laughing as my mother and I joined in with the crowd. My mother, a no nonsense house wife, who had no idea what exactly the plays were going to be about gleefully enjoying the 'liberation'.
  But now a cunt was this fuckhead Gray, standing and gawping at me as I yanked my bloodstained knife from the dead body's skull, I gave him the foulest look I could muster.
 Briefly my attention was drawn back to Jocelyn pushed the body off her, spluttering, as she got to her feet but then I scanned the area again.
  There was a group of two or three that had started stumbling towards us from a pedestrian walk way that led out into the square it was hard to tell if they were heading for us as they heads bobbed in and out of view behind a hedge but I didn’t want to find out.
  I hastened Jocelyn to go for the entrance, I looked at Gray. He snapped out of whatever had been going through his head and he brushed past both of us and hurried up the steps.
 I swung my head round as a door three houses up burst open and a man came hurtling out. He lost his balance and rolled down the steps of his house, yelping with each impact.
  Another man followed him, but I could see that he was already one of them. This zombie took the steps with more success and caught up with his target on the pavement. The group of slow zombies veered away and pushed open the metal gate of the house and joined in. I didn't look and hated myself for being relieved that the potential pursuers were now occupied.
  Denny, Phillip and Dan had fought their way clear into the ground floor by the time I got inside.
  It only took a few seconds to dispatch the last zombie, I watched as Phillip smacked the bat into the corpse enthusiastically. He straightened up afterwards and looked at his companions who stood getting their breath back.
  Then he turned around, and the way he looked scared the shit out of me. He seemed to tower over both Dan and Denny, the limited stark light of the hallway's bulb cast shadows over his face that made the grin on his face look demonic. The clumps of gore on his taught cheek bones showed up black adding to the macabre image.
  This is what he wants, I thought as he strode towards me, it's like he has been waiting for this one moment, so he could stop working in a shitty little shop, stop taking all the bullshit he bitches on about every day, stop sinking to the level of all the morons he deals with and instead, go round killing people.
  His grin widened, hefting the baseball bat onto his shoulder. At the same time as realising how psychotic he was it occurred to me that he had traveled through the middle of Brighton, a city that was now full of undead to find me and he loved me.
  The dumbarse, probably insane person, standing in front of me was in love with me.
  He sauntered past me and slammed the flimsy internal door shut.
          “That isn't going to hold.” Phillip commented.
          “We could always use some of the furniture from this flat.” Dan offered walking through a door to my right. Denny followed.
            “Genius!” Phillip exclaimed. “Does that mean the old bat copped it?”
    “She's probably the person who opened the door in the first place.” Dan answered from within the flat.
    “Heh, her fucking pigs showed up.” Phillip sneered.
  Phillip started into the flat then his head reappeared around the frame.
          “Hey, Gray, are you going to fucking help us?”

No comments:

Post a Comment